No, you don’t need to make your own pasta from scratch. After all, even the snobbiest foodie would agree that any pasta is good pasta. But who wants good pasta when you can have out-of-this-world pasta? With no actual machine required, you’ve really got no excuse to DIY this one.
So, for those nights when you’ve got a little extra time on your hands…get some flour on them, too! Your noodles may not be quite as paper-thin or perfect as they would be with a machine, but there’s something to be said for that imperfect, rustic, homemade quality. And the end result will taste that much better when you know you hand-cut each noodle yourself. (Plus, talk about hitting the Instagram jackpot.)
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Pour flour onto countertop and mold it into a circular shape with an empty well in the center.
2. Crack 2 eggs into the well, add oil, then begin to mix everything together using your hands.
3. Once the ingredients are fully incorporated into the beginnings of a sticky dough, move to a well-floured surface and continue to knead, adding flour as you go and pushing and pulling and punching until the ball is no longer tacky to the touch. You should end up with a smooth ball of dough that doesn’t have cracks in the surface or any wet areas.
4. Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.
5. Time to roll out the dough! Cut it into 3 sections and roll out each on its own on a floured surface, creating sheets of dough that are as thin as you can possibly make them (aim for “see-through” noodles, though it’s unlikely you’ll get that far without a machine!).
6. Using a knife, pizza wheel, or pastry cutter to cut long noodles out of the dough. It’s OK if they’re not perfect!
7. When you’re ready to use them, boil the noodles in salted water for two minutes, and add a delicious sauce. You can also use them in chicken noodle soup — or even make a delicious filling and try your hand at homemade ravioli.
xx, The FabFitFun Team