Did you know that 250 billion children can’t read this? Half of those children are actually in school but still aren’t able to read due to poor education.
Luckily, Pencils of Promise, a for-purpose organization, is working to provide quality education for children in developing countries and increasing access to education for those in need. This season, we here at FabFitFun have included a set of coloring pencils in collaboration with PoP because we believe in their vision to bring education to kids all over the world.
Here are just a few facts about children’s literacy and why PoP is striving to make a difference:
- 250 million children globally are not learning elementary educational skills, which translates into a loss of an estimated US $129 billion per year for governments around the world.
- If all students in low-income countries left school with basic reading skills, more than 170 million people could be lifted out of poverty.
- An additional year of schooling for a girl can increase her potential earnings by 10-20%.
- Students miss 272 million school days each year due to preventable illness.
- A child born to a literate mother is 50% more likely to survive past the age of five.
PoP’s programs and initiatives have been making a change. Here’s how:
- PoP 3rd & 4th grade students see 251% greater improvements than their peers in oral reading fluency, a primary indicator of success for transitional readers.
- In PoP schools with WASH programming, 3.7-times more students report drinking clean water as compared to their peers.
- PoP 5th & 6th grade students see 100% greater improvements than their peers in reading comprehension, a primary indicator of success for independent readers.
And we’re especially excited to work with Pencils of Promise as our charity partner for the Fall Box. We paired colored pencils with an original FabFitFun Coloring Book to help you relax and unwind like never before. Learn more at PencilsofPromise.org and let’s make a difference in children’s education.
xx, The FabFitFun Team
P.S. Psst! Have you signed up for the #FabFitFun box yet? Don’t miss out on $200+ in amazing beauty, fitness, fashion, and lifestyle products every season. Join today!
To get the most out of your box products, make sure to check out the Insider page.