When it comes to whipping up with a quick afternoon snack, or hors d’oeuvres for a dinner party, we believe the best way to go is the simple route. Let quality ingredients shine by just adding a bit of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. The flavors will fall into place on their own.
In this deelish recipe, we let fontina cheese, bell peppers, and garlic do their thang in the oven. When everything comes together, you’ll be shocked at how sophisticated and flavorful this fancy toast is. It’s especially a hit when serving as an appetizer to friends who are coming over for a wine night (hello drunchies!).
And, if you really think about, this meal is pretty much a homemade variation of mini pizzas — except healthier! Hallelujah!
Cheesy Roasted Pepper Toast
3 red or orange bell peppers, halved with membrane and seeds removed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, halved
3 slices thick-cut whole grain bread
4 ounces fontina cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Brush the bell peppers with extra virgin olive oil, and generously season with salt and pepper.
3. On a baking sheet lined with foil, place the bell peppers skin side up, along with garlic.
4. Broil for 15 minutes, then remove and let cool.
5. Once peppers are cool, remove the charred skins and set aside.
6. Assemble the fontina cheese on slices of bread, and place on same baking sheet you used for peppers. Let broil for a couple minutes until the cheese is melted.
7. Remove from oven and place the peppers and garlic on toast immediately. Return to the oven for one more minute.
8. Garnish with desired herbs and toppings.
xx, The FabFitFun Team