We all have unhealthy cravings (Did anyone else see the gold-crusted donuts we talked about yesterday? We’re still having gilded flashbacks.) But one of our favorite pastimes is making our own healthier variations at home.
And while we haven’t figured out how to “healthify” gold-flaked donuts, we have cracked the code on lightening up our pad Thai dishes, (or pretty much any other drunken noodle dish that you avoid eating due to the massive amounts of calories). Yup, we’ve made a guilt free version of a very tasty Asian stir fry noodle dish for you to try at home.
Brown rice vermicelli noodles are gluten free and so good! And instead of using a ton of processed sugar and sodium like most Asian restaurants do, we switched it up by replacing them with healthy agave nectar and low sodium soy sauce. Don’t be suspicious about the taste either; we never skimp on flavor or quality ingredients.
Asian Brown Rice Noodle Stir Fry
1 pound brown rice vermicelli
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 eggs, beaten
10 ounces of button or Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced or chopped
1 large head of broccoli (with stalk removed), chopped
2 medium bell pepper (red or orange), thinly sliced
2 shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
Salt and pepper
1. In a large pot, cook brown rice vermicelli according to package instructions, but undercook slightly since you will be adding them to heated pan later. Be sure not to overcook noodles, as they will become very mushy.
2. Cook beaten eggs with red pepper flakes in 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. In a large sauté pan or wok, add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to heated pan, and add the garlic, shallots, and ginger, stirring frequently until the ingredients become fragrant. Be sure not to burn!
4. Add the mushrooms, and salt and pepper to pan and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the broccoli and bell peppers to pan and cook ingredients until the vegetables become tender.
6. Add the low sodium soy sauce and agave to pan and combine for 30 seconds in pan with all ingredients.
7. Remove pan from heat, and add the eggs, cilantro, sesame seeds and brown rice vermicelli. Combine everything together and serve immediately.
xx, The FabFitFun Team