On the first day of Christmas, we’re not looking for a partridge in a pear tree, but rather a festive stiff libation. Yep, we said it.
We’re kicking off the last month of the year by throwing eggnog into our shaker as inspired by Nico of San Francisco. The restaurant combined spiced clementine syrup, Cognac, and a hint of cardamom to create a drink that even Santa would sip on. So spread the holiday cheer!
Clementine Cardamom Egg Nog recipe courtesy of Nico
1 1/2 ounces Vin Jaune
1/2 ounce Cognac
1 1/2 ounces spiced clementine syrup
1 whole egg
1/2 ounce cardamom orgeat
1. Add all ingredients in a boston shaker with no ice
2. Shake vigorously for 45-60 seconds
3. Add ice and shake for 20 seconds
4. Double strain into a tulip or coupe glass
5. Garnish with microphones clementine zest
Spiced Clementine Syrup
1. Juice 1 pint of clementine juice.
2. Pour juice in sauce pot and add ½ cup sugar, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 2 star anise, 3 allspice berries, 15 black peppercorns
3. Bring to a high simmer until the liquid reduces by 50% or until the syrup coats a spoon
4. Strain off spices and chill
1. Sprout 1 pint of almonds in water for 6-8 hours straining off water and cleaning 2-3 times
2. Toast 8 broken up cardamom pods in a pan on medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes
3. Add 1 cup sugar to 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil then set aside to steep and cool
4. Add almonds into a VitaMix and top with cardamom syrup and blend on high for 3-5 minutes
5. Strain syrup through a nut milk bag. *Tip – use gloves to strain through bag, as it can get sticky
xx, The FabFitFun Team