We love a good massage. Seriously, though, what’s not to love about a massage? Especially after a stressful week or a long haul flight. But there’s one massage that rises above the rest in our spa books: Hawaii’s Lomilomi massage. If you’ve witnessed it before, you can attest that it’s nothing short of pure magic. If not, take note below.
For starters, it’s a native Hawaiian healing technique that has been passed down from generation to generation. Unlike a regular massage, the lomilomi focuses on your entire body at once — with flowing strokes from the therapist’s forearms and elbows to help promote harmony from head to toe.
And if you’re looking for the best place on the islands to experience it firsthand, head over to Laniwai Spa at Aulani on Oahu for their signature Lomilomi . And in case you’re still on the fence, we tapped Brett Perkins, the resort’s spa manager to give us five reasons to love it even more. (Rest assured you will walk out feeling like a million bucks or more).
1. It’s serious R&R. Passed down from generation to generation by healing kūpuna (elders), this massage’s healing method guarantees relaxation.
2. It’s completely customizable. Lomilomi’s therapeutic technique is customized for your body’s specific needs—allowing each person to receive maximum benefits from the treatment specific to them.
3. It helps fight fatigue. Hand-carved Lomilomi sticks and warm river stones are used to release muscle tension and fatigue furthering the sense of “ahh” in spa.
4. Soothing scents. Each guest is given the chance to personally select scented body oils and lotions. Each scent adds a different soothing sensation and elevates the massage experience by engaging your sense of smell.
5. It replenishes the mind. Overall, this technique replenishes the mind, body, and spirit with positive energy, increased circulation and muscle tone.
xx, The FabFitFun Team