There’s something funny that happens in the fall. As soon as we realize that the sun is getting a little lazier comin’ up on time, we start to do the same… and so the slump into winter begins. But, there might be certain little peeps runnin’ around your household that are just kickin’ things into high gear — your kids — who just returned to school from summer break! Heaven knows you can’t let those kiddos down by falling into a slow-paced fall routine, right?
The best way we’ve found to stay on pointe and in a peppy, summertime state of mind all the time is to prep our food; especially lunch. And, why treat only yourself to nutritious, healthy, brain-boosting food? Your kids need the same, if not more, nutrients to develop, grow, and thrive through the fall and beyond!
That’s why we’re going head-to-head with the typical lunchtime go-to’s: lunchables, Fruit Roll-Ups, sugar-laden drinks, and additive-drenched snack packs. We are a little baffled how most of these items even make it to the grocery shelf. But, we do understand the convenience of them. Grab-and-go goodies are fast, cheap, and well-liked by kids everywhere. We get it. And that’s exactly why we’ve designed a cost effective, convenient and ridiculously delicious lunchtime alternative for your kids that will keep ’em happy, well-fed and comin’ back for more!
Watch the easy step-by-step video to make your own Chicken Coconuggets, Peas ‘n’ Dip and Berrylicious Rollups that are almost too good to be healthy (but trust us, they are!).
2 free range chicken breasts
3/4 cup almond meal
3/4 cup shredded coconut flakes
1/4 cup light coconut milk
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut chicken into nugget-sized chunks.
2. Prepare three separate bowls, assembly-line style, in this order: Half of your almond meal quantity / 1 egg and coconut milk / coconut flakes and second half of almond meal quantity
3. Dip each nugget into almond meal, then into egg and milk mixture, and finally, into coconut flakes and almond meal.
4. Cook for 25 minutes at 350 F, and don’t forget to flip ’em halfway through!
Peas ‘n’ Dip
1 cup chickpeas, rinsed
1/3 cup tahini paste
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and paprika to taste
1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
2. Serve with snap peas or carrots.
4 cups mixed organic berries
1 organic peach
1. Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
2. Place in a large pot and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 10 more minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 170 F.
4. Pour mixture into parchment paper-lined baking sheet and cook for 4 hours at 170 F.
5. Cut roll-up-sized rectangles out of cooked fruit and parchment paper with kitchen scissors, and roll into small tubes. Tie with twine.
And, one last thing: Don’t forget to send your kids (or hubby) off with a handwritten note! That’s our favorite goodie to find in a lunch box (next to the dessert, of course!).
What are your kids’ lunchtime faves? Let us know on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and maaaaybe we’ll serve up some more lunchtime tweaks for you and your kids soon!
Lunches and crunches,
The POUND Girls
For more healthy and delish tweaks, be sure to check out Poundfit.com!