We love a good dish that tastes as good as it looks.
That’s why we can’t get enough of this pretty penne dish. Created by Tyler Florence of Food 911 on The Food Network, this recipe combines yummy artichokes with black olives, tomatoes, sweet peas, and penne for a tasty and colorful meal that’s perfect for spring.
Serve this up at your next get-together and you’ll look like an expert cook!
Penne with Baby Artichokes, Black Olives, and Peas
12 baby artichokes
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
1/2 lemon, cut in thin circles
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup black olives, pitted
1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
2 tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sweet peas
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound penne pasta, cooked
1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
1. Rinse the artichokes in cold water. Bend back the green petals and snap them off all the way down to the light green and yellow leaves. Cut off the top cone of petals and the green part of the base. Cut the artichokes in half, if the choke and thistle look spiky, remove them. Otherwise, just put in acidulated water.
2. Coat a saucepan with 2 tablespoons olive oil and place over medium heat.
3. Blot the artichokes dry then add them to the pan.
4. Add the garlic, shallot, lemon slices, bay leaves and red pepper flakes.
5. Pour in the stock, cover, and let simmer for 8 minutes to soften the artichokes. Remove the lid and add the olives, basil, tomatoes and butter, stir to incorporate.
6. Add the peas and remaining oil; season again with salt and pepper.
7. Cook pasta al dente and top with the baby artichoke sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.
xx, The FabFitFun Team