Courtesy of elliekrieger.com
For the salad:
2/3 cup brown rice
2/3 cup wild rice
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons chopped unsalted pistachios
1 orange, peel and white pith removed, segmented, and sliced
10 large fresh basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
For the dressing:
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Combine the brown rice, wild rice, and broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a slow simmer, and cook until all water is evaporated and the rice is fully cooked, 45-55 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
2. Toast the pistachios in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently; cool.
3. Cut the top and bottom off the orange. Stand it on one end and remove the rest of the peel and the woolly white pith by cutting down the orange, following its curve with your knife. Then remove each orange segment from the membrane.
4. When the rice is cool, add the orange sections, the basil, onion, pistachios, and orange zest, and mix to incorporate.
5. To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, oil, orange juice, mustard, honey, and salt in a small bowl. Pour over the rice mixture and toss to incorporate. This salad will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for a day or two.
Want more fab and light recipes? Click here!