We think we’ve found the best thing since sliced bread!
Yep, sweet potato “bread” slices are our fave substitution, especially for those looking to replace gluten with a healthier carbohydrate. Created by private chef and certified nutritionist Ariane Resnick this sandwich recipe has the taste you love, sans all the empty calories of bread. In fact, with some cheese, hummus, avocado, tomatoes, and arugula, this whole food alternative will leave you far more satiated than any lame lettuce wrap could.
How sweet is that?!
Sweet Potato “Bread”
1 XL white sweet potato, sliced into rounds
If you can only find small sweet potatoes, slice lengthwise for a submarine sandwich shape
1 tablespoons neutral oil, such as grapeseed or avocado
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Place sweet potato slices on a baking sheet drizzled with 1/2 tablespoon of oil, then drizzle remaining oil over slices.
3. Salt to taste.
4. Bake until cooked through with some golden spots, 35-45 minutes.
5. Allow to cool before handling.
2 slices sweet potato “bread”
1 handful arugula or other green
1 tomato, sliced
½ avocado, sliced
2 thick slices cheddar cheese
2-3 tablespoons hummus, to taste
whole grain mustard, to taste
1. Spread hummus on one sweet potato slice, and mustard on the other.
2. Stack additional ingredients on one slice, and top with the other.
xx, The FabFitFun Team