If you thought that avocado was the food obsession of last year, think again. This delicious, vitamin-enriched fruit is quickly becoming the “it” food of 2016, and we’re not the only ones still obsessed with it.
From its silky smooth texture to its decadent and slightly sweet taste, it’s easy to see why celebrities like Chrissy Teigen and Jennifer Aniston can’t get enough avocados in their lives. Miley Cyrus even got a tiny avocado tattooed on her arm to express her love for the green goodness.
Whether slathered on toast, sprinkled atop a salad, or eaten just plain raw, there are so many ways to enjoy this tasty treat. Here are eight of the yummiest avocado recipes to help you embrace the trendiest food of the year.
Fresh lime juice
Crushed red pepper flakes
1. Slice cucumbers thinly and season with lime juice, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
2. Spread tahini on sourdough bread.
3. Top bread with mashed avocado.
4. Top with cucumbers and drizzle olive oil.
9 ounces uncooked pasta
1-2 cloves garlic
¼ fresh basil
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium avocado
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
2. In a food processor, combine garlic and basil and pulse to mince.
3. Add lemon juice, avocado flesh, oil, and 1 tablespoon water and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Drain pasta and place back in pot. Add avocado sauce and stir until combined.
5. Top with lemon zest, pepper, and fresh basil leaves, and serve!
2 large eggs, beaten to blend
1 cup panko crumbs
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 avocado, pitted, cut into 8 wedges
4 cups vegetable oil for frying
1 15-ounce can refried beans
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1 cup prepared pico de gallo
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1. Place eggs, panko, and flour in 3 separate shallow bowls. Season avocado with salt.
2. Working in batches, drench avocado in flour, coat with egg, and coat with panko.
3. Pour oil into large deep skillet and heat.
4. Working in batches, fry avocado until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes.
5. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
6. Spread beans on tortillas and top with fried avocado, lettuce, pico de gallo, and cheese.
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
3 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
Pinch of salt
Handful of spinach
4 sheets nori sushi wrap
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1. Place quinoa and water in saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until all the water has been absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
2. Cut avocado and cucumber into thin strips.
3. Mix together vinegar, maple syrup, and salt in a small bowl. Pour mixture onto quinoa, mixing as you go.
4. Lay out nori wrap on sushi mat, spread quinoa on all but the last 2 inches of the wrap.
5. Place spinach on quinoa and top with cucumber and avocado slices.
6. Roll up tightly, wetting the end of the nori wrap to stick.
7. Repeat to make 4 rolls, use sharp knife to cut into rolls.
2 slices of bread
2-3 tbsp pesto
2 slices mild white melty cheese like mozzarella
Handful baby spinach
¼ avocado, sliced
2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
1. Spread 1 tbsp pesto onto each slice of bread.
2. On one slice of bread add a slice of cheese, avocado, goat cheese, spinach, another slice of cheese, and top with second slice of bread.
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium low heat.
4. Add sandwich to the oil and cook until bread is golden brown.
10 ounces dry elbow macaroni
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1. Bring water to a boil in large pot. Salt water and add in macaroni. Stir and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Combine garlic, avocados, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper in food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy.
3. Place butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. When butter is melted whisk in flour to create a paste. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir with a wooden spoon until sauce starts to thicken. Add in cheese and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
4. Place macaroni in large bowl. Pour avocado sauce over macaroni and stir until well coated. Add cheese sauce and stir until macaroni is coated and creamy. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
2 ripe avocados
4 fresh eggs
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Slice avocados in half and take out pit. Scoop out about 2 tbsp of flesh from the center.
3. Place avocados in a small baking dish.
4. Crack an egg into each avocado half. Try your best to crack the yolk in first, then let the egg whites spill in to fill up the rest of the shell.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and season with pepper, chives, and garnish of your choice.
2 cups spinach
1 green apple
1 cup Greek yogurt
Blend yogurt, avocado, banana, spinach and apple until smooth, pulsing as needed. You might need to scrape down the sides of the blender a few times.
xx, The FabFitFun Team