Thai-Style Confetti Crunch Cucumber Salad
This sweet, light, crunchy salad is the perfect accompaniment to a summer meal and is so much better than traditional mayo-laden cole slaw.
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 large cucumber
1 small red pepper
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts , finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems , chopped
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Cook for 1 minute at a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, peel the cucumber and cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Cut crosswise into slices.
- Dice the red pepper and remove the seeds.
- Grate or finely slice the carrot.
- Place the cucumber, red pepper, carrot, cherry tomatoes, peanuts, and cilantro in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the cooled vinegar dressing over the salad ingredients and mix gently.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Yield: 3-4 cups
We rounded up 11 other delish salad recipes in honor of National Salad Month. Check them out here!
Posted on May 23, 2012 in Recipes