Tender Greens Spring Salad
Courtesy of Chef Erik Oberholtzer, Chef/Co-Owner of Tender Greens
This colorful veggie salad embraces all the wonderful produce that’s in season. Add protein for a heartier main dish.
2 ounces fava bean sprouts
2 ounces little gem lettuce, butter, or romaine lettuce
6 sugar snap peas, string removed, blanched
6 English peas, shelled, blanched
6 fava beans, shelled, blanched, shelled again
2 organic rainbow carrots, peeled, shaved in thin rounds
2 raw baby beets, peeled, shaved in thin rounds, red, yellow or pink
6 mint leaves
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 spring onion, shaved
1 1/2 ounce toasted almonds
1/3 pound shaved dry aged jack cheese
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Protein: salami, chicken, steak, fish (optional)
- To prepare the peas, remove from pod and blanch in salted, boiling water for about 1 minute. Shock in ice water and drain.
- Clean the fava shoots and little gem lettuce heads in clean, cold water and spin dry.
- Using a mandoline, shave beets, carrots, and cheese. Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- For the dressing: Shave spring onion and add to a small bowl. Add Dijon, lemon zest, juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk in olive oil, sea salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Season to taste.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing over the lettuce and vegetable mixture, add mint leaves, toasted almonds, and toss.
- Top with shaved jack and serve.
- If desired, top with protein — salami, chicken, steak, or fish.
Serves 2-4 people
We rounded up 11 other delish salad recipes in honor of National Salad Month. Check them out here!