Spork Foods’ Niçoise Salad
Courtesy of Spork Foods, a 100% vegan and organic cooking school based in West Hollywood and co-founded by sisters Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg
This classic salad gets a lighter twist. Tuna and eggs have been eliminated in favor of tofu and avocado to create a satisfying vegan entrée.
2 heads red leaf or butter lettuce, washed and roughly chopped
4 quarts water for boiling Dash sea salt
4-5 small organic new red potatoes, quartered
1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 package baked tofu, diced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup Niçoise olives
1/2 large avocado, diced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (Cabernet preferred)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large shallot, finely diced
4 sprigs fresh thyme, stemmed and chopped
3-5 sprigs fresh oregano, stemmed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons mustard, stone ground or German
2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- Place salad greens in a large bowl and set aside.
- For the dressing: In blender or food processor, combine all ingredients. Blend until uniform and creamy. Set aside.
- Using a large (6-quart) pot, bring water and sea salt to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove potatoes from water and place in a bowl.
- Keep water boiling and add a dash more sea salt.
- Add cut green beans and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until they float to top and turn bright green. Drain and submerge green beans in cold water. Drain again and place in a bowl.
- Coat potatoes with about 3 tablespoons dressing, set aside. Coat cooled green beans with about 2 tablespoons dressing, set aside.
- Toss salad greens with remaining dressing until well coated.
- Arrange toppings in bunches, starting with potatoes, then green beans, baked tofu, Niçoise olives, and avocado.
We rounded up 11 other delish salad recipes in honor of National Salad Month. Check them out here!
Posted on May 23, 2012 in Recipes