Carnitas are often cooked in lard, but this slimmed-down version uses a combination of beer and OJ for added flavor with far less fat.
2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (cut into two cubes)
1 large onion (roughly chopped)
1 12-ounce bottle of beer
Juice from 1 orange
1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Juice from 1 lime
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Place pork cubes in the slow cooker along with the onions then pour the beer and orange juice over the top.
2. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
3. Remove pork from juices and set aside.
4. Once cool, shred pork using a fork or your fingers.
5. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the vegetable oil) to a blender. Cover and purée everything until it is well blended.
6. In a large sauté pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
7. Once oil is hot, add the pork and sauté to crisp the edges.
8. Spoon or pour in as much of the sauce as you would like onto the pork. Continue to cook until sauce is heated through.
9. Serve with corn tortillas, tomatoes, queso fresco, and guacamole.
For other great healthy Mexican recipes, check out our Cinco de Mayo slideshow!