Fully Stuffed Acorn Squash
Courtesy of Ashley Pettit Living
Squash the other dishes with this über-healthy, one-dish meal full of holiday flavors. Squash, sage, dried cherries, and ground turkey make this a holiday meal you can make any time.
3 acorn squashes, small
4 ounces ground meat (use grass-fed beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, or turkey sausage)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, cold-pressed
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoon Garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups black rice, steamed
1/4 cup dried cherries, no sugar added
1 tablespoon fresh sage, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place whole acorn squashes in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until soft.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add ground meat. Cook thoroughly, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove pan from heat and set aside meat in a bowl. Add onion and sauté until lightly browned. Add garlic, saute 1 minute. Place in the bowl with the meat.
5. Stir in the rice, sage, cherries, salt, and red pepper flakes
6. Cut the squashes in half and remove seeds. Fill the centers with roughly 1/2 cup of the mixture.
Calories: about 330 (if white meat is used)
Posted on December 17, 2012