Casa Vega Restaurant Meatless Mexican Spinach Enchiladas
Recently remodeled by Bravo’s Jeff Lewis, our fave San Fernando Valley hotspot Casa Vega goes veggie crazy in their enchiladas.
1 package of corn tortillas
12 ounces fresh spinach
1/2 sliced white onion
1 tablespoon chopped onion
8 large green tomatillos
2 cups of water
1 bunch of cilantro
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon of salt
1 ounce sour cream
6 ounces shredded cheese, Monterey Jack or Asadero
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a deep pan add the water, tomatillos, onion, cilantro, salt, and garlic. Cook until it boils for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for additional 5 minutes.
3. Pour everything from the pan into a blender and blend well.
4. Next, add the avocado, sour cream and 1 tablespoon of cilantro. Blend until creamy.
5. In a separate flat pan, add oil, tablespoon chopped onion, shredded cheese and 2 ounces of the tomatillo sauce from blender. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach, continuous stir until it is dark green. Set aside.
6. First warm the tortillas with a little canola oil. Lay the warmed tortilla flat and add 3 ounces of spinach mixture down the middle. Roll the tortilla and cover with the sauce you just made. Add a little cheese down the center on top of the tortilla and bake for several minutes until cheese is melted.
7. Serve with Spanish rice, slices of avocado and a touch of sour cream.
Courtesy Casa Vega
For other great healthy Mexican recipes, check out our Cinco de Mayo slideshow!
Posted on May 4, 2012 in Recipes