Meatless Monday: Grilled Peach Sandwich
Chef Meg Hall sweetens up your standard sammy
Summer is swiftly coming to a close. With only a few weeks left to savor in-season fruits and veggies, we wanted to incorporate one of our faves for this week’s Meatless Monday! Peaches are a delish treat that we love snacking on throughout the day. But add the sweet fruit into a sandwich and you’ve got one peachy keen meal!
Chef Meg Hall has developed a sandwich that is the perfect combo of sweet and tangy. And even more amazing? You can customize it to your needs! Make it as the directions say below for the perfect lunch to take to work, ditch one slice of bread and munch it open face to save some carbs, or try grilling different fruits once peaches go out of season. Whatever your sandwich desires are, this little guy will feed them! Don’t feel like cooking? You can stop into Meg’s Redondo Beach eatery, and she’ll cook this sammy up right before your eyes.
Grilled Peach Sandwich
1 medium sized peach (Get peaches that are a bit firmer than completely ripe, they will hold up better on the grill)
1/2 red onion
2 ounces goat cheese (softer goat cheese is easier to spread)
2 slices sourdough bread
1. Run your knife through the middle of the fruit, then twist the fruit to cut it in half, using the pit as a guide.
2. Remove the pit and cut the peaches into thick slices (smaller than a quarter slice).
3. Cut half of onion into slices.
4. Wrap onions in tin foil and set them on the grill. Cook them for about 15 minutes, turning once or twice.
5. Lightly coat the peach with extra-virgin olive oil and place it directly on the grill until you get grill marks on both sides, turning once.
6. While peaches are grilling, brush both sides of sourdough bread with olive oil and place them on the grill to crisp, about 1 minute per side.
7. Spread the cheese over both slices of toasted bread.
8. Top with grilled peaches, onions, and other slice of bread.
xx, The FabFitFun Team
Posted on September 30, 2013 in Health