Meatless Monday: Eggplant Roll-Ups
Roll out that roll up
Remember those tasty fruit roll-ups that you’d wrap around your index finger and munch on until your tongue turned blue? Well, here’s your chance to be a kid again (but in a much more ladylike way of course)!
Eggplant roll-ups are a perfect way to glam up a childhood classic, but this time your body (and your teeth) will thank you for it! Brought to you by nutritionist, personal trainer and exercise physiologist Franci Cohen, these delicious roll-ups are uh-mazingly good for you! Stuffed with a yummy pesto made of ricotta, Parmesan, lemon juice, and basil, these all-natural ingredients combine for a super flavorful filling. Not to mention these roll-ups are super easy to make because all you need is your good ol’ grill and food processor.
So what are you waiting for? Go get your roll on!
2 medium-long eggplants
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup pesto sauce
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Homemade Pesto (recipe follows)
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat stove top grill pan or outdoor grill over high heat.
2. Cut the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 6 slices each eggplant).
3. Brush the eggplant slices evenly with olive oil on both sides.
4. Grill the eggplant slices in batches for 2-3 minutes each side, then let cool.
5. Mix ricotta cheese, pesto, and lemon juice together in a small bowl and spread a heaping tablespoon of the mixture evenly over each eggplant slice.
6. Roll up the eggplant slices, place on a plate seam-side down and serve!
xx, The FabFitFun Team
Posted on October 7, 2013 in Health