Sprout it Veggie Tacos
This recipe can accommodate pretty much any veggies you have that need to be eaten—clean out your fridge or use those vegetables that need to be harvest from your garden! The flavors and textures should be fresh, so don’t overcook the veggies—saute just long enough to make them tender and to allow the flavors to come together.
1-2 Tablespoons olive or coconut oil (enough for sauteing)
½ cup white or yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped zucchini or yellow squash
1 medium green or red pepper, chopped
½ cup carrots, thinly sliced
1 fresh jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (use a ½ pepper and/or remove the seeds for less heat)
½ cup black beans, fully cooked & rinsed (out of a can works fine)
1 cup spinach, roughly chopped (kale is also delicious)
1 teaspoon chili powder (chipotle chili powder, if you have it)
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Salt (to taste)
Ground black pepper (to taste)
Juice from 1 fresh lime (plus additional limes wedges for garnish)
1 small tomato, chopped
1 avocado, sliced
fresh cilantro, chopped
8 corn tortillas
1. Wash and chop all vegetables—set aside tomatoes and avocado to use fresh. Prepare and set out all toppings and garnishes in advance so you can eat immediately after warming the tortillas, while everything is still hot!
2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Add onions and garlic to the pan and lightly sauté. After about 2 minutes, add zucchini, peppers, carrots, and jalapeño. Stir to coat with oil and add cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper. Sauté 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the corn tortillas. In a cast iron pan, heat a bit of olive oil (or use an olive oil cooking spray to coat the pan) and add the tortillas, one at a time, letting the tortilla heat so little bubble form. Turn over halfway through. Place tortillas in a warm (200 degree) oven until ready to use.
4. Add black beans and spinach to the vegetable mixture and heat through (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and add fresh lime juice.
5. Serve immediately. Add veggie mixture to the tortilla, top with tomatoes, avocado and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.
Like this post? There's more. Get tons of beauty tips, tutorials, and news on the FabFitFun Facebook page!