Meatless Monday: Casa Vega Spinach Enchiladas
Cinco de Mayo is just a hop, skip and a caliente jump away. For you Angelenos, Casa Vega is the perfect place to celebrate this holiday but if you can’t make it out we’ve got the recipe for Spinach Enchiladas to satisfy your Mexican food craving at home! Casa Vega’s spinach enchiladas are the perfect meal to savor and still avoid meat. Jam packed with vitamins and fiber, this is Mexican food you can actually feel good about eating. Whether you’re going out or staying in, be sure these fiesta-inducing enchiladas are on your dinner plate ASAP.
1 package of corn tortillas
12 ounce fresh spinach
1/2 sliced white onion
1 tablespoon chopped onion
8 large green tomatillos
2 cups of water
1 bushel of cilantro
1 tablespoon cilantro
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon of salt
1 ounce sour cream
6 ounce shredded cheese (Monterey Jack or Asadero)
1. In a deep pan add the water, tomatillos, onion, cilantro, salt and garlic. Cook until it boils for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for additional 5 minutes.
2. Pour everything from the pan into a blender and blend well.
3. Next, add the avocado, sour cream and tbsp of cilantro. Blend until creamy.
4. In a separate flat pan, add oil, tablespoon chopped onion, shredded cheese and 2 oz of the tomatillo sauce from blender. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach, continuous stir until it is dark green. Set aside.
5. First warm the tortillas with a little canola oil. Lay the warmed tortilla flat and add 3oz of spinach mixture down the middle. Roll the tortilla and cover with the sauce you just made. Add a little cheese down the center on top of the tortilla and bake in preheated over (350 degrees) for several minutes until cheese is melted.
Serve with Spanish rice, slices of avocado and a touch of sour cream.
Like this post? There's more. Get tons of beauty tips, tutorials, and news on the FabFitFun Facebook page!