5 Fabulously Fit Foods for Kids and Moms
Sneaky snacks to get your kiddies loving veggies
When Go-Gurts and snack-sized juices aren’t exactly packin’ the punch, here are some ideas to get your health on, with your kids cheering along the way! They’re simple, quick, and fabulously delicious.
1. Baked Sweet Potato Fries Sprinkled with Cinnamon: Who doesn’t like a good ol’ French fry as an afternoon delight? These veggies in disguise are packed with vitamins K, A, and C, and also taste really delicious! The kids will never know they’re eating their vegetables.
2. Dry-Roasted Chickpeas with Sea Salt and Lemon: If you’ve never dry-roasted chickpeas before, you’re really missing out. Simply toss chickpeas into a little olive oil, salt, and lemon, and roast in the oven at 450 degrees for 40 minutes or until crispy. Chock full of protein and fiber, they bring a whole new meaning to movie-watching snacks! Get the recipe here!
3. Veggies and Peanut Sauce: Hummus is so 1990s, but exotic dips and sauces from far-East cuisine are making a stunning appearance in everyday American food. Try this fun spin on peanut butter for a protein-packed afterschool snack: Simply mix 3 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 tablespoon honey, a splash of soy sauce, and a few drops of sesame oil, and serve with fresh carrots or celery. The perfect snack to hold you over till dinner!
4. Kale Smoothies: This super green is the perfect way to start the day (for both kids and mom), and you will never be able to taste the kale, we swear! Simply blend a handful of kale, 1 cup of almond milk, one banana, and a splash of blueberries, and serve over ice. This truly trumps the froyo craze.
5. Cherries and Sweet Cream: This sweet dip will have you licking your lips all day! Blend 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon, making the perfect dip for cherries or grapes. Love it!
Even if the recent holiday season has you indulging your senses a little bit too much, both you and the kids will get back on track in no time with these snacks, and you won’t have to sacrifice taste one bit. Happy eating!
xx, The FabFitFun Team