Getting Stylish with Caroline Modarressy-Tehrani
Style Spotlighting on the journalist, host, and producer
by Donna Kim of DonnaDaily
Based in Los Angeles, Caroline Modarressy-Tehrani, aka Caroline MT, is a multi-talented journalist, producer, host, and columnist. She’s currently one of the hosts for Huffington Post Live, writes for numerous well-respected publications, and holds a master’s degree in journalism from Columbia University.
In her Style Spotlight interview, she shares her tips on how to become a journalist and, of course, her five favorite must-haves.
What are five products/places that are your absolute faves (beauty products, fashion item, tech gadget, etc.)?
1. Giorgio Armani Maestro foundation: A guilty, and rather pricey, pleasure, but goodness, it goes on smooth as silk. Apply with fingertips and add a slick of Nip + Fab (see below,) and you’re good to go!
2. Carvela by Kurt Geiger high heels: I am rather tall, but I love towering in these shoes! I have what feels like a dozen pairs. My faves? Purple suede and satin 5-inch heels, or my mustard stub-heel Mary Janes. Glamorous and always comfortable.
3. iPhone and Nike+ Running: I’m training for a 10k race at the moment, and I often need a dose of Arctic Monkeys/Ellie Goulding to get me up the LA Hills during training! The technology lets me power through, and incentivizes me to burn off those calories.
4. Nip + Fab’s Lip+Nip Fix lip balm: A very thick consistency, but this moisturizing balm coats the most chapped lips. Perfect little emergency tube during winter that can be worn alone or underneath a MAC lipstick, preferably in matte Russian Red.
5. Virgin America airplanes: I live in LA but I travel to NYC a lot, and the planes are always immaculate, running on time and have the best gadgets. Without Mr. Branson, I’d be stuck! Also, my car — once I moved to the west coast, I swapped my Metro card for a hardtop convertible! It’s a pre-owned VW Eos, 2.0, but it’s a sexy beast of a machine!
What kind of advice would you give someone who wants to do something similar to your occupation?
Read voraciously — and not just the news. The best way to understand others is to engage in humanity, and that means the machinations of being human: — poetry, fiction, magazines, radio…
Don’t be afraid to strike out on your own. Yes, the lack of security can feel daunting, but the years that I spent freelancing as a diary writer and society columnist were excellent training. You make mistakes, over-analyze emails from harried editors, get better, and learn the craft in the field. I also had wonderful fun in the process. Be polite and never get too big for your boots. Smile. Ask questions. Make eye contact. And always say yes to a cup of coffee — my first job came out of a chance meeting with an editor, who just so happened to be the ex-boyfriend of a friend of mine!
Follow Caroline on Twitter @CarolMT.
Posted on January 28, 2013 in Style