Jam-filled Oat Bran Muffins
Courtesy of Yummly
By subbing ground flaxseed for eggs, and soy milk for dairy, you can munch on one of these jam-filled muffins and still afford a soy latte to start your day!
2 tablespoons flax seeds
6 tablespoons water
2 cups oat bran
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups soymilk
1/3 cup light vegetable oil
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup jam
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly grease your muffin tins.
- In a med. size bowl with a hand mixer, whip up the water and the flaxseed meal. In a few minutes, it should become a thick and creamy liquid.
- In a large bowl combine the oat bran, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the flaxseed mixture, milk, and oil.
- Stir in the walnuts if using and then add to the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Fill your prepared muffin cups less than half full, then put a dab of your jam on top of the batter, then put more batter until the muffin cup is two-thirds full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool the muffins in the tin for about 3 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to complete cooling.
Makes 16 servings
Posted on June 21, 2012